Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Nope, Still Not Bored


 This picture doesn't do justice to how I spent my afternoon today. I made chimichangas with three of my favorite students/ex-students: the Arellano sisters. Several years ago, the oldest sister, Stephanie brought chimichangas to a potluck for our class one day and I've been in love with them ever since. I've described their chimichangas as melting in your mouth  It's not an understatement to say that I'm obsessed with them. I hinted...Ok, begged for the recipe, but the girls said that they were not at liberty to share it since it was their mom's secret recipe although they have often provided me with a good supply of them throughout the year.


 Well, this afternoon, they showed up with all of the fixings for....Chimichangas. Their mom gave her OK for me having a little awesome Mexican cuisine cooking lesson. I've eaten a lot of good Mexican food, but these chimichangas are the best. The recipe actually wasn't very complicated, but it did take some time. I don't think I'd be breaking any confidences by posting the recipe here, and it will help me remember how to make them.

Chimichangas


  • two chicken breasts
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • one white onion, chopped
  • one bunch cilantro, chopped
  • one bunch parsley, finely chopped
  • 1-2 small cans tomato sauce
  • 3-4 cups chicken broth
  • one pkg. large flour tortillas (They use Guerreo brand)
  • canolla oil, for frying


Poach the chicken in the chicken broth with two cloves garlic, one half chopped onion,  cilantro, and 1 tsp. salt. When chicken is cooked, shredded it, and place it in a bowl with one clove of the garlic, the rest of the chopped onion, chopped parsley, and enough tomato sauce to moisten well without being "goopy." Let the chicken mixture cool, and then place a thin line of chicken across the lower third of the burrito. Fold the bottom of the tortilla up over the chicken and form a tight tube, then pick up the bottom portion of the tortilla and roll the rest of it tightly into a tube. They usually let their chimichangas sit in the fridge over night to set, and then fry them in the morning. They're easier to work with that way.
 I've slowed down a little on my summer accomplishments, but I did finish Russ's socks yesterday. He seems to like them, and kept them on even though it's like 80 degree in the house. I bought Julie's bunny pattern last month, so I'm thinking that that will be my next project, but we'll just have to see. Maybe I'll throw caution to the wind, and start two projects at once.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Russ's socks look great! Glad he likes them. :-)

Caffeine Girl said...

I've never had chimichanga's, but they look yummy!

Congratulations on finished a pair of men's socks -- they are my least favorite think to knit!

kathy b said...

mmmm a delicious post

I LOVE your ribbed socks..that may be my next pair

Willow said...

yummy! I heart chimichangas. You lucky girl!

Love those socks!

I bought Julie's bunny patterns too but decided that bunny bits and pieces was not a good plan for knitting on a road trip.

wildtomato said...

Thank you (and your ex-students' mother) for that recipe! I don't think I've ever had homemade chimichangas before, but now i have to try it!

Barbara from Nova Scotia said...

Thanks for the recipe. I love chimichangas but never made them before.